Assistant Professor in Chemistry/Primary Science Education (Natural Sciences & Science Education Academic Group)
The Natural Sciences and Science Education Academic Group (NSSE AG) at the National Institute of Education in Singapore is committed to discovery and innovation in science and science education. Comprising faculty from both science content and pedagogical disciplines, we adopt an inter-disciplinary approach to teaching and research. Research by biologists, chemists and physicists in NSSE is centred on many areas of current cutting-edge science, both basic and applied. Our science educationists focus mainly on maximising the potential of every child through research on students' learning approaches and problem-solving skills, and work with teachers to develop models of creative teaching and new approaches to learning. Faculty members receive research support through internal and external grants, as well as access to world-class research facilities.
The NSSE AG invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in Chemistry/Primary Science Education. The NSSE AG conducts teaching and research in both science and science education.
The position is available from January 2019 onwards.
Successful candidates must have :
- A basic degree in chemistry and a PhD in education (specializing in science education)
- Published in top-tier, peer-reviewed international education journals, and be able to teach in English
- Teaching qualifications, taught at secondary or primary level for at least 5 years and leadership experience in school
- Post-doctoral research experience, prior experience in conducting professional development courses for teachers, and conducting research in multilingual and multicultural environments are desirable
Successful candidates will be expected to :
- Conceptualise, teach and grade pre-service and in-service courses in Curriculum Studies (e.g., pedagogy/methods, assessment, curriculum) in Chemistry and Primary Science Education, and graduate level courses in Science Education.
- Supervise student teachers in practicum attachments and course assignments, and supervise MEd/PhD students. Involvement in course coordination will be required. Additionally, academic staff members serve on committees in the academic group/NIE/NTU and offer consultancy and professional services to schools, the Ministry of Education and other public education-related organizations on a request basis.
- Develop research programmes in areas of their interest and to publish in top-tier, peer-reviewed international education journals. Research grants are available locally on a competitive basis
Please complete and send the prescribed Application Form for Academic Positions (http://www.nie.edu.sg/about-us/careers#submit-an-application), together with your detailed curriculum vitae, which should include areas of research interest, list of publications and names and addresses, email addresses or fax numbers of at least three referees to:
Head, Human Resource Department
National Institute of Education
Nanyang Technological University
1 Nanyang Walk
Tel: (65) 6790 3098
Fax: (65) 6896 9360
Note to applicants
We regret that only successful candidates will be notified (via email).
Closing date for application is 31 May 2018 or until the position is filled.
More information on NSSE AG can be found at http://www.nie.edu.sg/our-people/academic-groups/natural-sciences-and-science-education