We have a really exciting position opening up at Washington State University. If you like big data and are passionate about using big data to identify trends in what does (and does not) work in undergraduate education, please consider applying!!
Summary of Duties:
The Data Scientist will support the Transformational Change Initiative (TCI), a portfolio of programs focused on increasing student access, participation, and life-long success. As part of the TCI team, the Data Scientist will identify appropriate research designs to monitor progress toward and document programmatic outcomes; collect, manage, and analyze data; and provide actionable, data-driven insights to inform programmatic activities.
The primary duties of the Data Scientist will be to collaboratively identify research questions and hypotheses, evaluate appropriate research approaches (qualitative, quantitative, mixed-methods), execute complex statistical analyses, and contribute to dissemination of results to leadership and in peer-reviewed venues.
* Positions require a Bachelor’s degree in a related field AND three (3) years of professional experience in business data analysis or related; OR a combination of education and experience totaling seven (7) years from which comparable knowledge and ability are acquired.
* Experience with data mining or utilizing computer databases to extract data for business reports.
* Statistical analytical and data visualization skills
* Written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
* Demonstrated ability to problem solve with discerning analytical and critical thinking skills.
* Experience troubleshooting information technology.
* 2-5 years of experience in higher education
* Experience with student success or educational transformation initiatives
* Ability to work in a team environment and manage multiple concurrent projects
* Demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
* Qualitative research experience
* Experience using qualitative research software (e.g., MaxQDA, NVIVO, Atlas-ti)
Area/College: Office of the Provost & Exec Vice President
Department Name: Office of the Provost & Exec Vice President - Transformational Change Initiative
City, State, Zip: Pullman, WA 99164-1046
Department Link: provost.wsu.edu
Monthly Salary: Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
This is a permanent position.
Posting end Date: Screening begins Tuesday, September 6, 2022 and will remain ongoing until vacancy has been filled.
Background Check: This position has been designated by the department to require a background check.
Applicant Instructions: Applicants must attach the following documents to their online application: 1) resume and 2) cover letter. Application materials should clearly communicate how the applicant meets all required qualifications and additional requirements. Applicants are required to include contact information for professional references within the application.
WASHINGTON STATE UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EDUCATOR AND EMPLOYER. Members of ethnic minorities, women, special disabled veterans, veterans of the Vietnam-era, recently separated veterans, and other protected veteran, persons of disability and/or persons age 40 and over are encouraged to apply.
WSU employs only U.S. citizens and lawfully authorized non-U.S. citizens. All new employees must show employment eligibility verification as required by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
WSU is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in its services, programs, activities, education and employment for individuals with disabilities. To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact Human Resource Services: 509-335-4521 (v), Washington State TDD Relay Service: Voice Callers: 1-800-833-6384; TDD Callers: 1-800-833-6388, 509-335-1259(f), or email@example.com.
Erika Offerdahl, Ph.D.
Professor and Director, Transformational Change Initiative
Associate Director of SMB Undergraduate Programs
School of Molecular Biosciences
College of Veterinary Medicine
Washington State University
PO Box 647520
“When the skill, love, and determination work together – expect a miracle!”