Happy New Year! I’m sending this position on behalf of the Director of the Center for Academic Success at FIU, Vicenta Shepard.
Please distribute widely to those you think may be interested.
Our Center for Academic Success (CfAS) at Florida International University is in search of an educator for the position of Science Tutor Coordinator.
Under supervision of the director for the Center for Academic Success (CfAS) the Science Tutor Coordinator performs a myriad of duties related to the administration, curriculum, and instruction at the Modesto Maidique and Biscayne Bay Campus learning centers. This position requires the individual to work in a team environment within the constructs of the CfAS as well as with various academic units and academic support departments across the FIU community.
* Manage and have oversight of the daily activities related to the functions, operations, and services provided by the CfAS at the Modesto Maidique Campus (MMC) and Biscayne Bay Campus (BBC), e.g. recruiting, hiring, training, supervising, and evaluating tutors in mathematics and statistics.
* Work in collaboration with the Director in maintaining the organizational and instructional (programmatic) operations of the CfAS: University Learning Center (MMC & BBC)
* Model pedagogically and andragogically sound practices for tutors’ training and development
* Assist with the planning, coordination, and implementation of the tutor training program.
* Assist with the oversight of the subject-specific tutoring via individual, small group, and study hall instruction (MMC & BBC).
* Identify strategies for assessing the needs of students relative to the natural and physical sciences.
* Design and implement resources and workshops relative to natural and physical sciences.
* Assist with the creation, development, and implementation of academic support initiatives that expands the CfAS and collaborates with university departments.
* Develop individual learning plans for “at-risk” and special needs students
* Contribute to the administration and budget management of the CfAS: University Learning Center (MMC & BBC)
* Collaborate with university-wide administration, faculty, and academic councils/committees (MMC & BBC).
* Represent the CfAS on university and State University System (SUS) committees.
* Assist with the annual CfAS Symposium.
* Contribute to the maintenance of the CfAS membership and collaboration with professional organizations, e.g. Florida College Learning Center Association (FCLCA), National Science Teachers Association (NSTA), National Center for Science Education (NCSE), etc.
* Participate in professional development opportunities
* Assist with data collection, interpretation, and report of academic support programs delivered by the CfAS.
* Perform other related duties or special projects as directed.
* Expertise (degreed) in STEM education, preferably chemistry education
* Knowledge of current trends in secondary and post-secondary education
* Knowledge of current national, state, and local assessments used to measure educational progress and/or achievement
* Knowledge of the diverse populations of the FIU community
* Exemplary oral and written communication skills
* Proficiency in MS Office Programs
* Ability to collect, analyze, and interpret data
* Ability to incorporate pedagogically sound STEM practices to initiatives dedicated to academic success
* Ability to maintain a high level of professional integrity
* Ability to apply conflict-resolution practices in a learning environment
Those interested should visit the FIU HR website directly. Go to careers.fiu.edu and search for Job Posting 522751.