Hello CER Colleagues,
Please see the below announcement for two Assistant Teaching Professor
positions at the University of Rhode Island:
*Position Description: Assistant Teaching Professor (2 positions)*
*Application Deadline: *
This is an open until filled search. First consideration will be given to
applications received by April 7, 2023. Second considerations may be given
to applications received by May 5, 2023. Applications received after the
second consideration date may not be given full consideration.
Link to full job ad and posting: https://jobs.uri.edu/postings/11324
*Job Description Summary:*
The Department of Chemistry at the University of Rhode Island invites
applications for two Assistant Teaching Professors: One to support the
general chemistry sequence and one to support the organic chemistry
sequence. Appointments are for academic year 2023 – 2024.
*Duties and Responsibilities:*
One Assistant Teaching Professor will teach multiple sections of CHM 101
(General Chemistry I) and/or supervise teaching assistants for laboratory
courses depending on departmental needs.
One Assistant Teaching Professor will teach multiple sections of CHM 124
(Introduction to Organic Chemistry/GOB Chemistry) and/or supervise teaching
assistants for laboratory courses depending on departmental needs.
Enrollments vary but are considered high-enrollment sections with a minimum
of 50 students. All sections will be taught on weekdays between 8 am and
Teaching responsibilities are reviewed yearly based on department needs and
1. Earned Ph.D. in chemistry or closely related field by start of
2. Demonstrated ability to work with and apply pedagogically sound
approaches to enhance learning for a diverse body of students.
3. Demonstrated evidence of teaching effectiveness (can include experience
gained as a teaching assistant).
4. Demonstrated strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
5. Demonstrated proficiency in written communication skills.
6. Demonstrated ability to work with diverse groups/populations
1. Experience teaching general chemistry and/or organic chemistry.
2. Experience supervising laboratory teaching assistants.
3. Ability to effectively deliver courses via remote or online learning.
*Special Instructions to Applicant:*
Please attach the following (pdf) to your online application:
1. Cover letter
2. Curriculum vitae
3. Statement of teaching philosophy (1 page)
4. Diversity statement – Approach to advancing diversity, equity,
inclusion, and justice (1 page)
5. Names and contact information for 3 references
URI is deeply committed to cultivating an academic, working, and living
environment that promotes inclusive excellence. We believe that we have
much to learn from one another and we are dedicated to providing the means
to making that happen through policy-making, programming, critical
conversations, thoughtful action, and collaboration between administration,
faculty, staff, and students.
To learn more about URI's commitment and support of diversity and
inclusion, please see https://web.uri.edu/diversity/.
*End Date of Restriction or Limitation:*
These are full-time, one academic-year appointments with annual renewal
contingent on successful reviews. Assistant Teaching Professors are
eligible for promotion to the rank of Associate Teaching Professor after a
period of successful employment with a multi-year contract.
College: Arts and Sciences
*Search Committee Members:*
Justin Pratt (Committee Chair)